Los Angeles Tourism celebrates 100 years of Hollywood Sign
It is that time of the year in Los Angeles when the days grow longer and temperatures grow warmer, the home to Hollywood beckons with a host of outdoor activities and experiences that provide panoramic views of The Hollywood Sign for that perfect photo opportunity.
This year as Los Angeles Tourism continues its celebration of the centennial anniversary of the Hollywood Sign, here are some amazing ways to experience the view of the city’s most recognizable symbol.
From al fresco dining to horseback riding to soaring by helicopter, the Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board is spotlighting the myriad of ways for visitors to head outside and enjoy the world-famous icon.
Nine of 10 Americans consider the Hollywood Sign an iconic American landmark, on par with the Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument, Mount Rushmore, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Nearly all Americans associate the sign with city of Los Angeles, and only the Statue of Liberty in New York and the Washington Monument in Washington, DC enjoy similar levels of location identification.
Over the past century, the Sign and the surrounding area has been protected and preserved from both developers and disrepair, defended by citizens and celebrities alike. The Hollywood Sign Trust, a nonprofit organization formed to maintain the cultural and historic landmark for future generations, ensured that the 45-foot-tall letters were refreshed and ready for their close up in advance of the sign’s centennial year.
From hiking or riding through the city’s trails and parks, to sipping and snacking at Hollywood’s hottest rooftop venues, here are some of the best ways to experience the Sign:
HIKING TRAILS & PARKS
GRIFFITH PARK: Among the best places to see the Hollywood Sign, Griffith Park offers multiple hiking trails on Mt. Hollywood, many departing straight from the iconic Griffith Observatory. The Cahuenga Peak Trail is among the most popular, a strenuous trek that rewards you with a unique view from behind the Sign and overlooking Downtown Los Angeles.
BRONSON CANYON: Bronson Canyon, home of the Batcave from the Batman ‘60s TV show, offers a selection of hikes and different vantage points to view the sign.
LAKE HOLLYWOOD PARK: For those more interested in strolls or picnics than hikes, the reservoir at Lake Hollywood Park has a direct view of the Sign and is accessible by car and a short walk.
RUNYON CANYON: Among the city’s most popular locations to see and be seen, Runyon Canyon offers distant, dramatic views of the sign, especially from the top of the park
ROOFTOP BARS & RESTAURANTS
- LEMON GROVE: Occupying the top floor of the Aster Club and Hotel, Lemon Grove serves up gorgeous views of the Sign and delectable cuisine from Top Chef alum Marcel Vigneron.
- DESERT 5 SPOT: A laid-back lounge inspired by Pioneertown, Desert 5 Spot offers colorful drinks and light bites and a great vantage point to view The Hollywood Sign.
- MAMA SHELTER: Few spots offer unobstructed view of the iconic Hollywood sign like Mama Shelter, serving up drinks and snacks in addition to its striking vista.
- BAR LIS: The French Riviera-inspired Bar Lis offers a lovely spot for sign viewing, with a retractable roof, delicious food and drink menu, and live music many nights of the week.
- GRANDMASTER RECORDERS: With a breathtaking view of the city skyline, The Hollywood Sign and Capitol Records, the creative cocktails and bites are plentiful at Grandmaster Recorders, as are the good vibes.
- LIGHTTHE HIGH ROOM: The expansive outdoor rooftop lounge, pool and grill is set high above Hollywood with unparalleled aerial views of the famed Hollywood sign and the Los Angeles skyline.
HOTELS WITH VIEWS
- THE KIMPTON EVERLY HOTEL: The boutique Kimpton Everly Hotel is right in the heart of Hollywood glitz and glamour, offering views of the Sign and the Hollywood hills from the rooftop and select guest rooms.
- TOMMIE HOLLYWOOD: Check in to the tommie Hollywood for panoramic city and Hollywood Sign views from their colorful rooftop pool and from Hollywood Hills view guestrooms.
- THOMPSON HOLLYWOOD: The chic rooftop pool, dining experiences and event spaces at the laid back, yet refined Thompson Hollywood offer impressive views of the Hollywood Sign.
- LOEWS HOLLYWOOD: An urban oasis at the corner of Hollywood and Highland, Loews Hollywood offers Hollywood Sign views from a collection of guest rooms and meeting spaces.
- DREAM HOLLYWOOD: The west coast flagship of Dream Hotels is tucked among the scenic Hollywood Hills, boasting a mid-century modern aesthetic guest rooms and public spaces with impressive views of the Hollywood sign.
- W HOLLYWOOD: On the always-lively Hollywood Boulevard, W Hollywood offers expansive vistas of the Hollywood Sign from their rooftop pool and lounge, guest rooms and suites, and event venues.
- GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY: The beloved cultural landmark and icon of the silver screen Griffith Observatory, home to the Samuel Oschin Planetarium, offers a premier view of the Hollywood Sign just a short distance from the parking lot.
- THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL: Climb up to the top of The Hollywood Bowl amphitheater for striking views of the stage and the Sign perched in the hills beyond.
- OVATION HOLLYWOOD: Formerly known as Hollywood & Highland, Ovation Hollywood is a shopping and entertainment complex that houses the Dolby Theatre (home of the Oscars since 2002) and the TCL Chinese Theatre. There are spots throughout the development dedicated to viewing the famed sign, especially the 3rd floor viewing deck.